Keen for pancakes on Saturday or Sunday morning! Try these Berry Bliss Protein Pancakes. Not your traditional pancakes with maple syrup and sugar but I promise they’re just as tasty…and not going to threaten your waistband.
Why do we recommend high protein recipe options?
Protein can help to curb your sugar cravings. It keeps you feeling full as well as replenishing your muscles. Also if you consume more protein, unlike fat and carbohydrates, you do not store it. These little guys are also a perfect snack options you can quickly whip up for during the week.
Serves 2 people
- 1/4 cup of plain or coconut flour
- 3/4 cup protein powder
- We use Vanilla Whey International Protein – tastes like Vanilla Ice-Cream
- For Vegans – try the ‘Vital Protein’ Vanilla Pea protein. I find the pea protein when cooked is really sweet. Be sure to mix this protein in well otherwise you can get a grainy texture.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup of egg whites
- 1 cup of skim/soy/almond/oat or rice milk. Be sure to look for alternative milks with greater than 120mg of calcium per 100mL to ensure it is a good source of calcium (#bonehealth).
- Canola spray
- 1 cup of mixed frozen berries
- Cinnamon or Barlean’s Greens chocolate powder (purchase online or at Body Building Nations – Penrith).
- 4 TBSP Lite Greek Style Yoghurt (i.e. Chobani 0.5%, Lite Farmer’s Union or Rokeby plain or vanilla). For Vegan option try Soylife Vanilla yoghurt.
1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2. Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients into the well. Gradually mix ingredients together till a smooth batter is formed.
3. Heat a not stick pan or pan over medium heat. Coat pan with canola oil spray.
4. Pour batter into pan. Split the batter into 8 pancakes. When bubbles appear on surface, flip the pancakes. Cook until golden brown.
5. Heat frozen berries in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Also heat a plate in the microwave to ensure you serve your pancakes hot.
6. Place 4 pancakes onto a plate. Dollop 2 TBSP of yoghurt on top and pour berries to serve. You can add a dusting of cinnamon or Barlean’s Chocolate Greens Powder as well.
7. Enjoy the deliciousness!